So, many seniors are applying to college during these upcoming months, including me. But do you know what really pisses me off? The prevalent competitive attitude among many of the people who apply. Many people are applying to way too many colleges. I hear people applying to 15 schools, and some are even applying to 20 or more! Do you know that you can only go to one of these schools? Frankly, applying to a couple schools, between 5 to 10, is probably the most practical. I understand that one needs to have the dream schools, the reach schools, and the safety schools. But 20 schools? By applying to this many schools, you actually deny some kids to go their dream schools. Take for example, you apply to Standford, Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, Columbia, University of Chicago, Cornell, Princeton, and most of the UCs, just to name a few. But do you realize that you only get to pick one? Just one! So why do you want to screw other people? (don't take it literally) I believe that most kids do this just so they can brag to others, "cool, I got into Stanford, Harvard, Yale, and Northwestern! I'm so awesome." Simply put, MOST of the kids who do this are prideful, competitive, and selfish! Lets say, a very brilliant kid applies to 15 different schools, most of them the top notch, and he also applies to the UCs. He gets into most of the higher tier schools, and decides to go to one of them. Then what's the point in applying to UCLA or UC Berkely? You just screwed me over by taking my spot, and now you're not going to go there? You also screwed many of the kids who applied to the same top tier schools as you did. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the competitive nature, in fact I believe it leads to a stronger and prosperous future. But come one, there is a limit - 20 schools? Wouldn't it be great if everyone knew which college they were going to? As great as this sounds, I believe it will never happen. So what I am trying to say is to only apply to the schools that are your safety, some schools which are a bit of a reach, and then lastly apply to 2 or even maybe 3 of your dream schools. By doing this, I believe you can actually increase the percentage of kids who go to four year universities.
Another uncontrollable factor is the terrible economy. Many of the "smartest" kids are up to the Stanford or Harvard "level." But because the economy is so bad, their parents actually want them to go to the UCs or other less expensive schools. This actually sucks for some kids like me. Honestly, I think I am around UCLA and Berkley level, and most kids are. But because of the economy, many of the more brilliant kids are "forced," in a way, to take our spots. Now, I'm not say this is always the case, because most of the top tier schools offer financial aid, but usually it is similar to this.
Now I know it sounds like I'm whining or making up excuses. In some way, this might be true :], but think about it. Isn't there some truth to this?
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment